Thursday, October 20, 2011

French Class

Do you remember the first person you fell in love within the five years? I assume most people cannot recall. That one person that just crosses your path and you think about them for the entire day. What if you think about them everyday for the past five years? Yeah. That's me.

I don't know if its weird to think about the same person that you have never dated for years, but that's me. I'm the guy who gawks at the cute, shy girl from across the room thinking: "Does she think I'm cute? I think I catch her looking at me?" Then again I did sit right below the clock in the classroom. And that is where it all started.

It always starts in college. The best stories start in college, I think its because everyone is of age, but not old enough to drink thus shenanigans ensue. Fuck shenanigans, I was in love. Her name was Liz. For all I know her name could have been Lizbeth, Elizabeth, Lizzy, or just Liz. It didn't matter because in our French class she was known as Liz.

I remember being pumped to have a French class again because after the chaos of high school, I had the most fun in my French class. I didn't actually learn any French but to me it was the one class where I could I actually interact better with other people. As I went into French 101 I sat in a respectable mid section seat, not too far in back but not in front. No one sat next me, which to this day I still wonder why. I probably didn't put deorderant on or something. As I was just sitting there, she came in. Liz was so shy, she was practically looking into her breasts, not that I was noticing. She hurried across the room, semi-across to where I was sitting. What did I do? Gave her the awkward, semi-smile, head nod. You know the gesture to someone you don't know but could get along with. She did nothing back, classic.

I always hated being in class for the first time, there is literally nothing to do besides talk to the person next you. Well fuck me because no one wanted to sit next me, no wonder Liz didn't do any sort of preliminary gesture to me! So I doodled on some paper, you know monsters and shit. The teacher came in, and said something like: "French, french, french, french french, bonjour, french." Yeah, brutal.

The next thing I know people were moving around! Fuck! What did he say?! I gathered my stuff, stood up and kinda just backed up, someone then moved into my spot. After a few minutes I was the only standing. I was a little embarrassed but I tried not to show it, so I just looked at my schedule to make sure I was in the right room. Bad move. The Prof noticed and said something in French, so I did the obvious thing anyone would do in my situation, I said:

"Ca va?"

The class erupted in laughter. I grinned. I didn't think it was that funny, but what was I supposed to do? The teacher asked me in English, thankfully, "We are sitting in alphabetical order." Of course I said, "Ooooooooooooooooh." I still didn't do anything because I didn't know anyones name. This didn't seem that French to me nor very collegiate, but fuck it. I looked at my schedule because I was nervous and he approached me and pointed to non-other than Liz.

My heart was beating like crazy. I was so nervous I thought I was going to shit my pants. She may have not been the cutest girl in the class, but I was the best looking bloke either. I just went with it. I walked over to the back of the room because apparently her last name is close to W. I pulled the chair and it seemed she moved away from me. Heart broken. I was giving up hope, but I put my stuff on the table and sat down. I was crushed. Who wouldn't be crushed in this situation? I practically fell in love with this stranger. As I was killing myself in my head I looked over and saw the sign. She gave me a slight smile, blushed away and tucked her hair back. I smiled and thought, "I'm glad I signed up for French.'

3 comments: